Sunday, March 10, 2013

Olive Garden

Visit number two and we've already got a couple of kids rushing up to give us hugs, shouting "Lindsay!  Brenda!"  Kindergartners are like sponges, soaking up everything they hear and see, retaining information.
This Friday we began to work with the students individually to help them write their own page of the book and illustrate a complimentary picture.  Because it was the first try at this, the teachers selected two if the brightest minds for Lindsay and I to work with.  We had a format for them to follow and helped them fill in the blanks with their own creative ideas.

After they finished writing, we had them draw a picture to match the setting.  As the students worked, we asked them for ideas for the characters' names.  We also asked what their favorite restaurant is (to be used later in the book).  One of the kids had trouble thinking of a restaurant name so I asked him if he liked Olive Garden and he replied, "I don't go to Olive Garden.  I'm Chinese." in complete seriousness.

During our time there, the school's principal made a visit to see how things were going.  I think it's safe to say that she liked what she saw.

Lindsay and I stayed at the school for 40 minutes, working with one child each.  It was a great experience to see how a five or six year old mind works.  They seem to want to please you but also are not afraid of being wrong, a form of confidence that I think students loose as they get older.

After the success of last Friday, I look ahead to the coming weeks eagerly.

No comments:

Post a Comment